I hope you enjoy reading this blog post!
If you want divinely inspired affirmations, custom written for you, click here.
Hello Beautiful Souls! Today I’m going to show you how to create a magical and beautiful Self Care Sunday Ritual.
Self-care is all the rage these days. But the truth is that it’s harder than you actually think. As women, we’ve been programmed to stay productive at all times, and taking care of ourselves can conjure up feelings of guilt.
In this guide, I’ll be covering what Self Care Sunday is, why it’s so important to your mental health, and how to create your own self-care ritual.
Keep reading to learn more!
Table of Contents
- Self Care Sunday Overview
- How to Create Your Self Care Sunday Ritual
- Self Care Sunday FAQ
- Final Thoughts
Self Care Sunday Overview
What is Self Care?
The World Health Organization defines self-care as the ability to actively maintain your health, prevent disease, and adapt to hardships with or without the support of a healthcare provider.
Self-care is making sure that you treat yourself the same way you treat the people you love, through healthy and non-destructive activities. This doesn’t mean going for a drink, doing drugs, etc. This means nourishing your mind, body, and spirit.
Why is self care important?
Being chronically productive and stressed out, which is very normal in today’s society, can lead to burnout, resentment, anger, and anxiety.
Self-care has been clinically proven to not only increase happiness and energy but also prevent heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
When you practice self-care regularly, you will begin to feel the benefits! You’ll feel energized and rejuvenated. You’ll start getting to know your body and intuition, and your self-confidence will soar. Not to mention your improvement in your ability to cope with stress and an increase in productivity!
What is Self Care Sunday?
Self Care Sunday is a social media movement popularized by celebrities, like Michelle Obama, after the global coronavirus outbreak. The movement normalizes the idea of taking a day off once a week and doing things that fill you with love and joy.
#Selfcaresunday is a simple and powerful concept since according to research by Harris Poll, 44 percent of people think self-care is only accessible to those with enough time. This movement normalizes the idea that anyone can do self-care by taking one day off, either weekly, bi-monthly or once a month.
Now that you know what self-care is and why it’s important, you can begin to add this valuable habit to your life.
How to Create Your Self Care Sunday Ritual
1. Block Sunday Off on Your Calendar
The first step is to block Self care Sunday off on your calendar, especially if you find it difficult to fit loving yourself into your schedule!
Put it in your calendar now before life gets too busy! Treat self-care like any other appointment or event.
I suggest using Google calendar to schedule your Self Care Sunday.
First, open your Google calendar and click right below the day on an upcoming Sunday.
Next, add in your event title. You can name it Selfcare Sunday and even include some fun emojis.
Then, open the new event you just created and set it to for every Sunday (or whatever time frame works for you).
Lastly, scroll down to the bottom and make sure that “Busy” is checked, so no other appointments can be scheduled for that day.
That’s it! Be sure to save your changes. This is especially helpful if you use scheduling tools that link to your Google Calendar.
2. Brainstorm a Self Care List
Next, let’s choose activities that are meaningful to you and that you enjoy.
This is your practice, so you want to be sure it’s customized in order to get the most out of it. Grab a pen and some paper and really think about the things that help you to feel relaxed, peaceful, excited, or happy.
If you love to be pampered, think of something you’ve never done before. Investing a little in yourself doesn’t mean it has to be expensive.
Maybe you could consider scheduling a manicure, taking a bubble bath, or rejuvenating your body and spirit by booking a spa day with a friend.
If you enjoy giving and receiving gifts, think of a present that you have been wanting for a while but hasn’t been in your budget. Then allow yourself to buy one gift, no matter how small, to boost your self-worth. Maybe it’s that cute pair of sandals you’ve been eyeing or that new smartphone that will make your life easier.
If you love nature, think of a trail or a camping spot that you’ve been wanting to try but haven’t had a chance to fit in your schedule. Then, grab your gear and go! You could even bring coffee and tea, and some of your favorite snacks. Create an experience for yourself!
Please remember, the most meaningful self-care practices tend to be the smallest. Send yourself a beautiful bouquet of flowers, or, choose one of your favorite foods and try a new version. For example, try to taste a new cupcake every week at your favorite cake shop. Get creative with it.
Now put your list to the side! We’ll be using it soon to develop your Self Care Sunday routine.
If you are a newbie to practicing self-care, these activities should be short and easily fit into your life without special equipment or tools.
3. Plan Your Day
Now it’s time to pull out your list and your calendar and plan your Self Care Sunday Ritual.
But first, I’d suggest scheduling in these 3 things:
- Do a quick 10-minute meditation. Let go of the stresses and drama from your week before you start your self-care.
- Write down all the things you are happy with currently in your life. Thankfulness is an important part of self-care because it puts you in a great mood. The worst thing you can do is spend your self-care day focused on the things you do not have.
My favorite gratitude journal is The Five Minute Journal. Read the full review here >>
- Recite affirmations for self-love. Affirmations for self-love are statements that you tell yourself to let you know you are loved. This will allow you to be aware of and reduce negative self-talk during your self-care day.
Here is a list of self-love affirmations you can use >>
Now let’s plan your day! Using the list you created, look at your calendar and schedule your self-care activities. Remember, you don’t have to do the same things every single Sunday. You can mix it up if you want.
Here’s an example of a self-care ritual:
- 09:00 am – 09:30 am: 🧘 Meditation and Journaling.
- 11:30 am – 01:30 pm: 🍃 Nature walk and picnic.
- 03:30 pm – 04:30 pm: 🛀 Bubble bath.
- 05:30 pm – 06:30 pm: 🍝 Italian dinner (Delivered)
- 07:30 pm – 09:30 pm: 📺 Movie or book from bed.
Notice how the above schedule has plenty of time in between activities to just BE. You don’t want your Self Care Sunday to be stressful and feel like a chore. Enjoy a lazy day of relaxation and slow movement!
Don’t forget to add this to your calendar. Here’s how:
First, open Google calendar again and go to your upcoming Self Care Sunday.
Next, choose a time slot item on your agenda and add in your event details including event title and timeframe.
Lastly, if you have additional information notes, like booking confirmations or reservations, add those too)
That’s it! Refer back to this as a reminder throughout the day.
4. Make a Self Care Package
To make it easier for you to keep up with your self-care during hard times, consider preparing a care package beforehand.
There should be a few items you love inside such as a good book, herbal tea, a luxury blanket, your favorite chocolate, facial mask, and bubble bath.
Put all the joy-producing items in one place, so you know where to go when you’re feeling stressed. It makes a huge difference.
Here are a few fun Amazon items you can add to your self-care package:
SELF CARE PACKAGE IDEAS
Life gets hectic sometimes, but we must not forget that we need to take care of ourselves when we need it most.
This may seem like a silly section of this article, but enjoying your day can be harder than it seems. Earlier, we discussed the fact that people often feel guilty for putting themselves first.
There are many complex reasons for this in our society. In spite of what others say, you deserve to focus on yourself.
When you take care of yourself, you can be a better person for everyone around you. You cannot fill someone else’s cup if yours is empty.
Here are a few reasons for why self-care shouldn’t cause guilt:
- Self Care Sunday is necessary: Self-care isn’t a luxury, but rather a necessity. Like wearing an airplane air mask when flying, you first have to make sure you’re breathing in order to help others.
- Self Care Sunday is not selfish: Being able to overcome the mindset that your own needs are more important than the needs of others may seem difficult at first, but it is essential for self-love. Caring for yourself doesn’t mean you don’t care for others.
- Self care demands respect: When you give someone a reason to value and respect you, they will return that sentiment in kind. By setting boundaries and saying no, people learn how to responsibly treat one another.
- Self care sets a good example: You are not only more likely to lead a healthier and happier life if you take care of yourself. Doing so is a great example for those around you.
Self-care needs to become a normalized concept. As more of us let the world around us know that loving ourselves is important, society’s views may change, too.
And remember… change starts with you! Break free of negative messages society has given you and you have internalized.
Practicing self care will help you discover the benefits of self-care and see that it doesn’t have to bring guilt.
Self Care Sunday FAQ
How do I give myself a Self Care Day?
To give yourself a self-care day:
- Block your self-care day off on your calendar.
- Brainstorm activities that are meaningful to you and that you enjoy.
- Add those ideas to your calendar and plan your self-care day out in detail.
- Create a care package you can pull out on your self-care day so you have everything you need in one place.
- Enjoy your self-care day and don’t feel guilty for putting yourself first!
What does Self Care Day mean?
A self care day is the concept of taking an entire day off to do things that fill you with love and joy.
When you practice self-care days regularly, you will have more energy, feel rejuvenated, and improve your ability to cope with stress!
How do you have a self care weekend?
To give yourself a self care weekend:
- Block your self care weekend off on your calendar.
- Do it alone or send out invites to friends and loved ones who are positive, uplifting, and make you feel great about yourself.
- Brainstorm self-care activities that are meaningful to you and that you enjoy. Leave plenty of time for rest and relaxation.
- Enjoy your self care weekend and don’t feel guilty for putting yourself first!
What are some self care ideas?
Adding self-care to your routine is extremely easy; the key is to select activities you enjoy and that provide you with the most beneficial results.
- Love nature? Go for a walk in the woods.
- Need alone time? Refuse invitations or favors.
- Love to relax? Take a luxurious bubble bath instead of going out.
Those are a few easy ways for you to incorporate self-care into your life.
Remember, finding a self-care routine that works for you means cutting yourself some slack.
Some weeks are more difficult than others so you may have to skip a Sunday, and that’s okay.
Be sure to check in on yourself regularly, listen to your body, and adjust as necessary.
Now it’s your turn! Before you get started with Self Care Sunday, make sure you leave a quick comment and let me know what you thought of this guide.